|KÜLSHEIM, Kuelsheim (Külsheim, Eiersheim, Hundheim, Steinbach, Steinfurt, Uissigheim.) also used by Gissigheim Königheim, Tauberbischofsheim , Hochhausen , Hardheim,|
KÜLSHEIM, (Kuelsheim): 49°40' N, 09°31' E, 21 miles WSW of Würzburg,12 km NW of Tauberbischofsheim, and 10 km S of Wertheim am Main in Main-Tauber-Kreis, NE Baden-Württemberg including the following formerly independent communities: Külsheim, Eiersheim, Hundheim, Steinbach, Steinfurt, Uissigheim. Jewish population: 196 (in 1871), 106 (in 1910). Until September 2006, this was an army garrison town and named Beinamen Brunnenstadt because of the many fountains in the city. The three-bowl fountain, situated in the center, is the coat of arms of Kulsheim.
Jewish cemetery history and photos. East of the city in Külsheim, the Jewish cemetery (on the road to Steinbach / corner Eckweg, Parcel 13034, area 59.77 ha) dates from at least around 1600. In the 17th to 19th century, it served as a cemetery association for numerous Jewish communities of Gissigheim Königheim, Tauberbischofsheim, Hochhausen, Hardheim, and others). By 1875 these communities had to get their own cemeteries since the Külsheimer cemetery ran out of space. map and photos. [Mar 2013]
97900 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Near junction Steinbacher Weg and Hans-Weisbach-Straße.(Detail).
IN USE: Probably from around the mid-17th century until 1938.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 921. Oldest identifiable gravestone dated 1695. (John 1992, page 145).
(Translated from German May 2008)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 March 2013 18:33|