Kehl is a town in SW Germany in the Ortenaukrei on the river Rhine directly opposite the French city of Strasbourg. Alternate names: Kehl, Stadt Kehl, Kehl am Rhein, Kehl im Hanauerland, Kiel. 48°35' N 7°49' E. The Jewish community dated from 1881 to 1938.
Since 1862 Jew were allowed to settle in Kehl, but in the following decades, many Jews migrated from small towns in the city -- mainly Bodersweier, Freistett, Lichtenau, and Rheinbischofsheim. The first community leader was Lippmann Wertheimer. The Jewish community had a synagogue, a religious school, and since 1924, a private cemetery in Kehl. The teacher was also employed as a cantor and shochet. The village belonged to Bezirksrabbinat Buhl. They had a chevra kaddisha.. Alemannia Judaica has more information about residents, history, and population.. History and synagogue information with photos. [Feb 2013]
Rhein 77694 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters)
DISTRICT: Ortenaukreis(Translated from German May 2008) [May 21, 2008]
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Friedhofstraße – Jewish section within the city’s general cemetery. (Detail)
IN USE: From 1924 until 1939, 1968, 1969, 1975 and still in use.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 17.
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
|Last Updated on Sunday, 24 February 2013 19:58|