a town in the district of Ortenau, b. Offenburg incorporating DIERSBURG. 48°25′26″N 7°54′30″E.
77749 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters)
DISTRICT: Community Hohberg, Ortenau district.
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Bachstrasse, (Detail).
IN USE: From around 1770 (dedicated) until 1936. Oldest dated gravestone 1773.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 212.
- 1984 photographs of all gravestones including inscriptions, cemetery layout and burial register by Diersburg and Naftali Bar-Giora Bamberger.
- Numerous photographs of gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
- Prior to having their own cemetery, the Diersburg Jewish community used the cemeteries initially in Schmieheim and also occasionally in Offenburg (Hahn 1988, page 403). Because of the distances involved of around 20km in respect of both these cemeteries, the community acquired a parcel of land in 1773 from the land owner at the Mühlbach (today's Bachstrasse), by permission of the local Baron. This land purchase was initiated by Josef Bruchsal, whose gravestone carries the Hebrew inscription He built his People the House of Immortality (Seinem Volk hat er das Haus der Ewigkeit erbaut). He died in 1773, the year of the cemetery's dedication.
[Researched and translated from German April 2008]
Last Updated on Sunday, 24 February 2013 15:31