49 ° 19 'N, 08 ° 33' E, 5 miles E of Speyer, 10 miles southwest of Heidelberg, 12 miles SSE of Mannheim, and 10 km W of Walldorf. in the Rhine-Neckar region, NW Baden-Württemberg in the Upper Rhine valley. The town is widely known for its motor speedway. Jewish population: 137 (in 1871), 52 (in 1933).
- Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 517: "Hockenheim".
- Pinkas HaKehilot , Germany, Vol 2 (1986), p. 307: "Hockenheim"
- JewishGen GerSIG
CEMETERY: Dedicated 1879, prior to which burials took place in Wiesloch. Last burial 1977. 53 gravestones. cemetery video. [Feb 2013]
68766 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters)
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Heidelberger Str. (Detail).
IN USE: From dedication in 1879 until 1933, 1962, last funeral 1977. Oldest dated gravestone 1880.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 53.
- 1985 photographs of all gravestones and cemetery layout by Zentralarchiv.
- 1991 full cemetery documentation including these photographs by the State Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed: Barbara Döpp).
- Numerous photographs of gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
- Photographic overall view of cemetery in Hundsnurscher/Taddey 1968, fig.# 94.
- Margit Meyer-Düttingdorf/Felicitas Offenloch-Brandenburger: Jüdisches Leben in Hockenheim - ein Teil unserer Stadtgeschichte. Published on the occasion of Open Memorial day, 13 Sept.1998 by the Arbeitskreis Jüdische Geschichte in Hockenheim. Copy obtainable from the author: Margit Meyer-Düttingdorf, Obere Hauptstrasse 24, 68766 Hockenheim,
; or Felicitas Offenloch-Brandenburger, Murgweg 6, 68766 Hockenheim.
- Up to 1879 the Hockenheim Jewish communities used the Wiesloch cemetery for burials (Hahn 1988, page 468).
- A list of graves can be found in the Berthold Rosenthal Collection (Leo Baeck Institute New York) (Inventory Berthold Rosenthal: II, No.2).
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
[Researched and translated from German April 2008]
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.