|HAITERBACH: incorporating Schwandorf, UNTERSCHWANDORF, Calw district|
HAITERBACH incorporating UNTERSCHWANDORF. 48°32' N 8°39' E, 345.0 miles SW of Berlin in the Calw district in the eastern Black Forest, 19 km NE ofFreudenstadt, and 30 km west of Tübingen. town website. Jewish history.
In 1801 the Jewish community under Schwandorf built a cemetery at the Old Haiterbacher road, about 1 km from the village. In 1879 was the last burial. Until after 1933, the cemetery probably was maintained by the Baisinger Jewish community. [sic?] A photo from around 1930 shows it in good condition with by a simple fence. Repaired in the 1960s,the cemetery but now is in "bad condition." Found in the summer of 1969, gravestones were reerected, washed and cleaned. At that time, the site was surrounded with a fence. In 1990 students and teachers of the Otto-Hahn-Gymnasium in Nagold documentated the cemetery. 17 gravestones in the cemetery are visible while more are just fragments. The path to the cemetery is marked with a sign. (area 6.34 a). Press articles of 24 April 1996: " 1996 press report: Haiterbach walkers on Sunday afternoon about 14 clock saw that in the Jewish cemetery in Schwandorf that three gravestones had been knocked down, The police believe that the incident happened Saturday. Employees of the building department of the city of Haiterbach found that four other gravestones had been painted with swastikas and SS marks. The police suspect two separate incidentstrict not typical of Calw dis.[Feb 2013]
72221 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters)
[Researched and translated from German March 2008]
|Last Updated on Friday, 22 February 2013 19:51|