Alternate names: Freiburg im Breisgau [Ger], Freiburg, Fribourg-en-Brisgau [Fr], Friburgo in Brisgovia [Ital], Fryburg Bryzgowijski [Pol]. 48°00' N, 07°51' E, In SW Germany, near the French and Swiss borders. A famous old German university town and archiepiscopal seat, Freiburg is a city with a population of about 230,000 people on the Dreisam river at the foot of the Schlossberg and hub of the Breisgau region on the western edge of the Black Forest in the Upper Rhine Plain. The city in the heart of a major wine-growing region and the primary tourist entry point to the scenic Black Forest. 1900 Jewish population: 1,013. Jewish history. Wikipedia. [Feb 2013]
- Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 402: "Freiburg".
- Pinkas HaKehilot, Germany, Vol. 2 (1986), p. 434: "Freiburg"
- JewishGen GerSIG
Memorial in the cemetery on Rosbaumweg, corner of Elsasser Strasse. [Feb 2013]
DISTRICT: Freiburg City and District.
SOURCE: Gerz and Peters
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Rosbaumweg, corner of Elsässer Strasse
IN USE: From 1870 and still in use today
- The capacity of this cemetery will shortly be reached. A new cemetery is now available in the Jewish section of the City's St.Georgen Cemetery.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 761 (in 1989)
- 1989 photographs of all gravestones and cemetery layout by Zentralarchiv.
- 2001 basic cemetery documentation including photographs. Also a full documentation for a selection of 128 gravestone inscriptions by the State Office for Historic Monuments and the City of Freiburg (Landesdenkmalamt ed: Emily Link), Zentralarchiv reference: two volumes (=Freiburg 1,2).
- There is no evidence to date of an existence of a Jewish cemetery during the Middle Ages. It is assumed that the Jewish community may have used the cemeteries in Breisach, Sulzburg and Waldkirch (refer to Germania Judaica vol.II/1, page 255; vol.III/1, page 397).
- During the 19th century the cemeteries in Emmendingen and Schmieheim were used for burials (Schwineköper/Laubenberger 1963, page 9).
- A new Jewish community was founded in 1863 who established the current cemetery in 1870, at the above location.
- A temporary assembly hall was erected in 1891, which was replaced in 1914 by the construction of a new mortuary. The latter was destroyed in 1938.
- A new mortuary was erected between 1949 and 1952. The cemetery also has a memorial in honour of the men of the Freiburg Jewish community who gave their lives during WW1. Since 1986 a memorial exists to honour "The Jewish Victims of the 1933-45 Tyranny".This was complemented in1991 by a fountain.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica
(Translated from German February 2008)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.