You are here: Home Germany BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG (BADEN-WUERTTEMBERG) ESSLINGEN AM NECKAR
ESSLINGEN AM NECKAR PDF Print E-mail

Coat of arms of Esslingen Alternate names: Esslingen [Ger], Eßlingen, Esslingen am Neckar, Eszlingen, Eszlingen am Neckar. 48°45' N, 09°18' E, 5 miles ESE of Stuttgart. 1900 Jewish population: about 150. Jewish history.Esslingen is capital of the Emmendingen district at the Elz River, 14 km (8.7 mi) north of Freiburg im Breisgau. Wikipedia. Jewish history. map. [Feb 2013]

73728 Baden Württemberg (Gerz, Peters)

DISTRICT: Esslingen.
LOCATION OF CEMETERIES:

  • Cemetery 1: Middle Ages.
  • Cemetery 2: Old Cemetery.
  • Cemetery 3: New Cemetery.
CEMETERY 1: Middle Ages Kanalstrasse-Schillerplatz (approximately)
IN USE: First mentioned in 1327, destroyed 1348. No traces left.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: None.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • 1345 first documentary reference to the existence of a second Middle Age cemetery (Germania Judaica Vol.II/1, page 229).
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

CEMETERY 2: Old Cemetery Turmstrasse/Beutau.
IN USE: From 1807 to 1874.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 19.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1862-1873 by Mayer Levi (copies and translations of all legible gravestone inscriptions).
  • 1988 photographs of all gravestones and cemetery layout by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1992 full cemetery documentation with the use of the photographs by the State Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed: Frowald Gil Hüttenmeister).
  • 1990-1994 by Joachim Hahn (photographs, translation of all gravestone inscriptions).
PUBLICATIONS:
  • Photographs by Württemberg 1932, page 74.
  • Complete cemetery documentation by Hahn 1994, history: pages 35, 100 and 104; burial register and gravestone instriptions with translations: pages 382-457; photographs of gravestones: figures # 86-99.
  • Historic and newer photographs of gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
NOTES:
  • The cemetery was severely vandalised during the Nazi era. Only relatively few gravestones could be re-erected post 1945.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

CEMETERY 3: New Cemetery located within the City’s Ebershalden cemetery on Landenbergerstrasse.
IN USE: From 1874 to 1939 and again in 1961, 1972 and 1979.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 75.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1988 photographs of all gravestones and cemetery layout by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1992 full cemetery documentation with the use of the photographs by the State Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed: Frowald Gil Hüttenmeister).
  • 1992 full cemetery documentation with the use of the photographs by the State Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed: Frowald Gil Hüttenmeister).
  • 1990-1994 photographs and translation of all gravestone inscriptions by Joachim Hahn.
PUBLICATIONS:
  • History, photographs of 9 gravestones and of a memorial plaque by Esslingen 1988, pages 11-20.
  • Complete cemetery documentation by Hahn 1994 (History – pages 100-104; burial register, gravestone inscriptions with translations – pages 384-457; photographs of the gravestones – figures # 100-176.
  • Numerous photographs of gravestones and general cemetery views in Alemannia Judaica.
NOTES:
  • There is a memorial plaque in this cemetery to honour 85 victims, who died in the Echterdingen concentration camp and who were buried here (Hahn 1994, pages 193-194). Other victims from the same concentration camp were buried in the Stuttgart (US Air Base) cemetery.
  • The cemetery was repeatedly used for burials after 1945.

SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
[[Researched and translated from German February 2008]

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Thursday, 21 February 2013 16:07
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution