EMMENDINGEN: Print

Coat of arms of Emmendingen 48°08' N, 07°51' E, 75 miles SW of Stuttgart, 9 miles N of Freiburg im Breisgau. Jewish population: 406 (in 1875). Capital of the district Emmendingen on the Elz River, the most populace city in the Emmendingen district.

  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 364: "Emmendingen".
  • Pinkas HaKehilot, Germany, Vol. 2 (1986), p. 243: "Emmendingen"
  • JewishGen GerSIG

Cemetery photos. Museum: Jüdisches Museum Emmendingen. [Feb 2013]

 

79312 Baden-Württemberg
DISTRICT:Emmendingen
SOURCE: Gerz and Peters
LOCATION OF 2 CEMETERIES (Old and New):
Old cemetery: corner of Hermann-Günth-Strasse and Haselmattenstrasse.
IN USE: From 1717 until 1902, when it was closed, although used occasionally until 1930.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 466.
DOCUMENTATION:-

  • 1988/1989 photographs of 204 gravestones by Rosemarie Schwemmer. Complete documentation of 121 gravestones, including the use of photographs, by Karl Günther.
  • 1989 photographs of all gravestones and cemetery layout by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1997 full cemetery documentation including the use of photographs by State Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed: Monika Preuss).
  • 1991/94 saw the creation of a coordinated listing of numbers established by the Zentralarchiv with the publication by Karl Günther (Günther 1991/94).
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • The cemetery established in 1717 was used until the New cemetery (see below) was established in 1899, adjoining the ‚ Bergfriedhof’. A reference to the New cemetery is fixed at the entrance to the Old cemetery. Some foundation fragments of the original mortuary are visible to the right of the entrance of the Old cemetery.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.

NEW cemetery in Gartenstrasse adjoining the town‘s ‚Bergfriedhof‘.
IN USE: From 1899 until 1940 and in use again since 1995.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 154.
DOCUMENTATION:
  • 1989 photographs of all gravestones and burial register by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1997 full cemetery documentation including the use of gravestone photographs by the State Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt ed: Monika Preuss).
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • The New cemetery was constructed in 1899, adjoining the town’s ‚Bergfriedhof. Below the cemetery entrance is a commemorative plaque in honour of the victims of Nazism 1933-45 which was erected in 1948 having been initiated by Rolf Weinstock following his survival and return from concentration camp.
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
[[Researched and translated from German February 2008]

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.


Last Updated on Thursday, 21 February 2013 15:23