ELLWANGEN Ellwangen an der Jagst, Ellwangen (Jagst)
Alternate names: Ellwangen [Ger], Ellwangen an der Jagst, Ellwangen (Jagst). 48°58' N, 10°08' E, 45 miles ENE of Stuttgart, in Ostalbkreis, E Baden-Württemberg.. Jewish population: 99 (in 1886), 15 (in 1933). Situated in the valley of the river Jags, between the foothills of the Swabian Alb and Virngrund (ancient Virgundia) forest. Ellwangen during the Holocaust. [Feb 2013]
- Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 361: "Ellwangen".
- Pinkas HaKehilot, Germany, Vol. 2 (1986), p. 42: "Ellwangen".
- JewishGen GerSIG
SOURCE: Gerz and Peters
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Kolpingweg - arrowed location.
IN USE: Constructed 1901, first funeral 1902, used until 1938.
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 19
- 1990 photographs of all gravestones and burial register by Zentralarchiv.
- 1991 full cemetery documentation including the use of these photographs by the State Office for Historic Monuments (Landesdenkmalamt - Ed: Frowald Gil Hüttenmeister).
- Prior to 1901 this community used the cemetery in Aufhausen for burials (Sauer 1966, page 72).
- A total of 23 burials took place up to 1938 in the Ellwangen cemetery (Source: Burial register).
- All gravestones were removed between 1943 and 1945 but were re-erected post WW2 on the orders of the American Military Government (Burr 1983, page 127).
SOURCE: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
[[Researched and translated from German February 2008]
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
Last Updated on Thursday, 21 February 2013 15:13