BÜHL (Ottersweie, Bühlertal, Altschweier, Balzhofen, Eisental, Kappelwindeck, Moos, Neusatz, Oberbruch, Oberweier, Vimbuch and Weitenung) Print

Coat of arms of Bühl.Bühl is part of Rastatt district between the Rhine Valley and the Black Forest dating from to the twelfth century and was formerly an agricultural town, especially famous for its plums. Today it is mainly an industrial town, car supply manufacturing, about 10 km (6.2 mi) So f Baden-Baden. Bühl is the third largest town in Rastatt Landkreis. Bühl has agreed to form a joint administrative community with the municipality of Ottersweier. The town of Bühlertal is completely surrounded by Bühl, forming an inclusion or enclave in the eastern part of the town of Bühl. Altschweier, Balzhofen, Eisental, Kappelwindeck, Moos, Neusatz, Oberbruch, Oberweier, Vimbuch and Weitenung. Except for Kappelwindeck, the aforementioned villages became an integral part of town of Bühl during the municipal reforms in the early 1970s. Balzhofen was formed by Henchhurst and Balzhofen, Eisental by the villages and/or hamlocks of Affental, Eisental, Horrenbach and Müllenbach, Neusatz by Bach, Fischerhöfe, Gebersberg, Kirchbühl, Neusatz, Neusatzeck, Waldsteg, Waldmatt and Wörth, Kappelwindeck by Brombach, Einsel/Einsiedel, Gucken, Kappel, Riegel, Hohbaum and Rittersbach, Weitenung by Elzhofen, Ottenhofen, Weitenung, and Witstung. Former estates such as Schlosshotel Bühlerhöhe, Burg Windeck (Windeck Castle), Kurhaus Sand, Schugshof, and Schweighof complete the list of names.


77815 Baden-Württemberg (BUEHL)
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: ‘Vordere Honau ’, Karl-Netter-Strasse.
IN USE: From 1833 until 1970

  • 1985 Photographs of all gravestones and cemetery layout by Zentralarchiv.
  • 1988 Burial register with the use of these photographs by Zentralarchiv (Editor: Andreas Gotzmann).
  • 1990 Translation of gravestone inscriptions No.1-118 from these photographs and register of names by Zentralarchiv (Editor: Karol Sidon).
  • Complete cemetery documentation with the use of these photographs by Preuss.
  • Numerous photographs of gravestones and general views in Alemannia Judaica.
  • History, burial register (only for those with German inscriptions) in Rumpf 1985.
  • Overall photographic view of cemetery by Hundsnurscher/Taddey 1968, figure #34.
  • Complete cemetery documentation by Preuss 1992 without photographs.
  • Bühler Judenfriedhof - by Michael Rumpf, an article in Die Grosse Kreisstadt Bühl, ed. by Stadtverwaltung Bühl/Baden,1985.
  • Stadt Bühl. Stadtgeschichichtliches Institut (Hg.): Jüdisches Leben. Auf den Spuren der israelitischen Gemeinde in Bühl. (Bühler Heimatgeschichte Nr.15/2001) containing an article by Simone Kölble: Der jüdische Friedhof in Bühl, pages 197-211.
  • Up to 1833 the Jews of Bühl had to bury their dead in the Kuppenheim cemetery.
  • Jews are first mentioned in 1579 but the few Jewish families there were forced to leave in the early 17th century and the Jewish settlement was only renewed during the Thirty Years War (1618-48). A synagogue was dedicated in 1832. When the Nazis came to power, the Jews were immediately subjected to persecution. Torah scrolls were vandalized in 1935 and Jews were gradually forced to liquidate their businesses. On Kristallnacht (9-10 November 1938), the synagogue was burned and Jewish stores damaged. Up to 1940, 21 Jews emigrated and 13 left for other German cities. The community ended when 28 were deported to the Gurs concentration camp on 22 October 1940.

SOURCES: Alemannia Judaica and University of Heidelberg.
[Researched and translated from German January 2008]

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 February 2013 02:19