|BRUCHSAL (Büchenau, Heidelsheim, Helmsheim, Obergrombach and Untergrombach) (Langental, Rohrbacher Hof, Scheckenbronnerhof, Staighof, Talmühle and Auf dem Michaelsberg in the borough of Untergrombach)|
BRUCHSAL: 49°08′N 8°36′E. Bruchsal (orig. Bruohselle, Bruaselle) is a city located at the edge of the Upper Rhine River Plains and the Kraichgau along the Saalbach, which is a small tributary of the Rhine that joins it between Philippsburg and Oberhausen. The city, approximately 20 km NE of Karlsruhe, is made up of Bruchsal proper along with the boroughs of Büchenau, Heidelsheim, Helmsheim, Obergrombach and Untergrombach. Former homesteads are located inside today's city limits. These often only consist of one or several buildings, such as Langental, Rohrbacher Hof, Scheckenbronnerhof, Staighof, Talmühle and Auf dem Michaelsberg in the borough of Untergrombach. As the largest city in the district of Karlsruhe, the area is known as Europe's largest asparagus producer. The Bruchsal area also includes the cities and towns of Bad Schönborn, Forst, Hambrücken, Karlsdorf-Neuthard, Kraichtal, Kronau, Oberhausen-Rheinhausen, Östringen, Philippsburg, Ubstadt-Weiher and Waghäusel. Until 1972 Bruchsal was the seat of the district of Bruchsal, which merged into the district of Karlsruhe as a result of the district reform, effective January 1, 1973. Bruchsal's population surpassed 20,000 around 1955. Bruchsal cooperates with the neighboring communities of Forst, Hambrücken and Karlsdorf-Neuthard in administrative matters. Jewish population: 128 in 1814; 752 in 1885 (6.2% of the total); 501 in 1933 with six benevolent societies. On Nov. 11, 1938, the synagogue* was burned. By 1939 166 Jews remained: 79 were deported to the *Gurs concentration camp in 1940. The community no longer exists. * Synagogue memorial and history.
Jewish Encyclopedia: "Jews resided here as early as the beginning of the twelfth century [note: possibly 1288]. In 1337 the Jews of Bruchsal joined with those of a number of other places in paying an annual tribute of 700 marks (in lieu of the taxes levied) to the bishop of Speyer. They also lent various sums to the bishop, which money was credited against the tribute due. At the time of the Black Death (1348-49) many Jews of Bruchsal were martyred. During the Middle Ages and the Reformation the Jews of Bruchsal suffered in common with their coreligionists throughout Germany. Until the French Revolution the Jewish community numbered only one or two hundred persons; and there were never so many as at the present time (1902), when about 100 families are to be found in the place. The most famous of the rabbis was David Friedberg of Mosbach, who officiated in Bruchsal from 1857 to 1871." In 1881 a synagogue was built. In 1934 the Autobahn was built between Heidelberg and Bruchsal, and in 1936 the Bretten district merged with the Bruchsal district. In 1938 the Nazis destroyed the synagogue (in its place is a fire station today), and the Jewish part of the population was deported. In 1939 the District Bruchsal became the district of Bruchsal, which included 38 towns and cities until it was merged into Karlsruhe (district) during the district reform of 1970. On the afternoon of March 1, 1945, Bruchsal was bombed by the Allies. On April 2, 1945, allied forces took Bruchsal without resistance. [Feb 2013]
Cemetery photos and history. Established in 1879 as part of the municipal cemeter located in the Ross Won market. 58.36 ar .The mortuary (Taharahaus) also is preserved with a plaque for Nöther Leopold, the funder of this building. The cemetery has about 370 gravesites with elegant gravestones, several since 1945. The cemetery was essentially undamaged by the Nazis. [Feb 2013]
BRUCHSAL incorp.OBERGROMBACH: 76646 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz, Peters).
DISTRICT: Karlsruhe, city of Bruchsal.
IN USE: From 1632, 1803 until 1964.
(Researched and translated from German March 2009)
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 February 2013 02:18|