BRETTEN ( Bauerbach, Büchig, Diedelsheim, Dürrenbüchig, Gölshausen, Neibsheim, Rinklingen, Ruit and Sprantal.) Print

Coat of arms of Bretten BRETTEN: 49°02′11″N 8°42′22″E. Bretten lies in the center of a rectangle formed by Heidelberg, Karlsruhe, Heilbronn and Stuttgart as corners. population of approximately 28,000. The Bretten old town consists of many old half-timbered houses around a lively marketplace. Towns and villages under the administration of Bretten include Bauerbach, Büchig, Diedelsheim, Dürrenbüchig, Gölshausen, Neibsheim, Rinklingen, Ruit and Sprantal.

[Memorbuch of the Jewish Community of Bretten], 17xx-1884 [Feb 2013]

Cemetery photo.The landmarked cemetery was used after Jews were first buried in Waibstadt. In 1883 a private cemetery was built at the present Windstegweg. The  11.18 Ar Jewish cemetery has 146 gravestones visible. The last burial took place in the 1949. Part of the grav stones from the late 19th Century comes from the workshop of the sculptor Ludwig Brettener Christof Meffle. cemetery photos. [Feb 2013]

Rerences:

  • Herbert Lohr: Christof Ludwig Meffle, stone and sculpture in Bretten, in: Kraichgau 17, 2002, pp. 191-196.
    Joachim Hahn und Jürgen Krüger: Synagogen in Baden-Württemberg. Band 2: Joachim Hahn: Orte und Einrichtungen. Theiss, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-8062-1843-5 (Gedenkbuch der Synagogen in Deutschland. Band 4), S. 62-65

75015 Baden-Württemberg (Gerz)
COUNTY: Karlsruhe
LOCATION OF CEMETERY: Windstegweg.
IN USE: From 1883/84 to 1940, 1949
NUMBER OF GRAVESTONES: 146
DOCUMENTATIONS:

  • 1998 translation of gravestone inscriptions by using the photographs by order of Zentralarchiv (editor: Karol Sidon) as well as burial register.
PUBLICATIONS:
NOTES:
  • Prior to having their own cemetery, the Bretten Jews buried their dead in the Waibstadt cemetery (Hundsnurscher/Taddey 1968 page 53). There is a plaque in the cemetery commemorating the Fallen Jewish soldiers of WW1.
  • Photos of synagogue and cemetery; and other items; location at Leo Baeck Institute: Bretten; Jewish community collection; Storage-Location: Second floor, 2nd floor left microfilm cabinet; Period covered (or date of publication): 1725-1962.; Size of the collection: 9 items, part of reel; Accession Number(s): AR 2799, Mf 328(2).
  • Jews died out in the pestilence of 1634/35; as late as 1725, two tombstones still existed, but today nothing remains. Source: Steinerne Zeugnisse jüdischen Lebens in Bayern; eine Dokumentation, 2nd ed. by Israel Schwierz. Muenchen: Bayerische Landeszentrale fuer politische Bildungsarbeit 1992, ISBN 3-87052-398-0, 368 pp. [1st ed. 1988, ISBN 3-87052-393-X, 352 pp.].

SOURCES: University of Heidelberg and Alemannia Judaica.
[Researched and translated from German January 2008]

To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 19 February 2013 02:18