|BAD BUCHAU: Allmannsweiler, Dürnau, Kanzach, Betzenweiler, Moosburg, Alleshausen, Seekirch, Tiefenbach and Oggelshause, The Jews from Mittelbiberach, Ravensburg, Aulendorf|
Bad Buchau (formerly Buchau) 48°3′58″N 9°36′36″E is a small town in Biberach district, Baden-Württemberg with about 4,000 inhabitants . Situated near the Federsee, Bad Buchau incorporates nine villages: Allmannsweiler, Dürnau, Kanzach, Betzenweiler, Moosburg, Alleshausen, Seekirch, Tiefenbach and Oggelshausen. Although the official language is German, the majority of inhabitants speak the Swabian dialect. From the Middle Ages to 1803, Buchau was the seat of both an Imperial Abbey and a Free Imperial City, the smallest in terms of area. Built on an island devoid of towers and walls, Buchau lost its secuirty when the water level of the Federsee diminished during the late 18th century. In 1577 The Free Imperial City welcomed a Jewish Community, which quickly gains prominence under the protection of the city. In 1650, a Jewish cemetery was constructed.In 1730 and 1837 synagogues were built. In 1806 Buchau became a township of the kingdom of Württemberg.1807 The Jewish community received the right to acquire goods.1828 The Jewish community receive their civil liberties.1847 Hermann Einstein, father of Albert Einstein, was born.In 1938, the synagogue and Jewish community ceased. [Feb 2013]
Excellent Jewish and Cemetery history. "Until 1675, the Good Place was behind Kappel next to the Saulgauer Straße. The cemetery was built in 1650. The Jews from Mittelbiberach, Ravensburg and Aulendorf were allowed to be buried there, too./ The first funeral at the cemetery was in 1675. It was Levi Israel, son of Abraham Günzburger from Aulendorf who was first buried. Almost 1000 deceased are resting there. According to Jewish law, the last sleep is considered eternal. As it was impossible to enlarge the cemetery in the beginning, the dead ones were buried partly in three rows on top of each other. It wasn't until the emancipation in 1850 and 1892 that new sites could be bought. These acquisitions lead to the present size of the cemetery which has a surface of 6698 m² (8010.7 y²). All the tombstones are facing eastwards./ Unfortunately the cemetery was desecrated during the Third Reich. Tombstones were demolished and taken away." [February 2013]
To see information and photographs of individual gravestones in cemeteries in Baden-Wuerttemberg, click on this link and follow the directions on that page.
|Last Updated on Monday, 18 February 2013 18:59|