|MYN'KIVTSI: Minkovtsy, Mikovitz, Minkowce: Khmelnitsky oblast|
Alternate names: Minkovtsy and Миньковцы [Rus], Myn'kivtsi and Миньківці [Ukr], Minkovitz [Yid], Mińkowce [Pol], Myn'kivci. 48°51' N, 27°06' E, 27 miles ENE of Kamenets Podolskiy, 13 miles ESE of Dunayivtsi, 8 miles W of Nova Ushytsya on the banks of the Ushitsa river (a tributary of the Dnestr). NOTE: Four places in Ukraine have the same name. Jewish population: 2,196 (in 1897), 1,296 (in 1939).
Kaminits-Podolsk and its environs
Russian Source with photos: "Dunaeveczkij village in the district of Khmelnitsky region. (Ukraine). Based on the 1st floor. 17. In the 17-18 centuries. - Within the Commonwealth. In 1637 received the Magdeburg Law. Since 1793 - in the Russian Empire. In the 19th - early. 20. - Ushitskogo county town of Podolia. Since 1931 - the center of the village council of the Jewish national Novoushitskogo district Vinnitsa 1937 - Kamenetz-Podolsk, 1954 - Khmelnitsky regions. Minkovtsah In 1847 lived in 1151 a Jew, in 1897 - 2,196 Jews (67%) , in 1923 - 1316 (30.3%) in 1926 - 1310 (87.1%), in 1939 - 1896 Jews (63.7%). Jews lived in Minkovtsah with 1st floor. 17. In 1648 the community was destroyed by troops B. Khmelnitsky. After some time in community life Minkovtsah revived. In the mid-18th century. Minkovtsah was built in wooden synagogue. In the 18th century. Jews were followers sabbatianstva and Francoism. In 1796 Minkovtsah opened the first printing house in Podolia. Own Publishing in 1802 was Mordechai Sheyvahovich. In the middle. 19. Rosenberg rented Minkovtsah brewery and paper mill Berlyand - mill Schwartzman - lime plant; Jews took contracts for felling and rafting ship timber. Minkovtsah In 1835 acted in three synagogues in 1867 - four synagogues in 1889 - five synagogues in 1890 - 6 synagogues. Most Jews were Minkovets Chassidim. The funds from the congregation had boxed collection doctor paid children's education, assisted the poor, landscaping place. In the beginning. 20.in Minkovtsah was organized Zionist group. Minkovtsah In 1914 operated 4 synagogue. In the 19th - early. 20. DOS. classes of the Jewish population - crafts and trade. In 1914, Jews owned only pharmacy, 34 shops (including all 12 of groceries, all 13 manufactory). The only mill in Minkovtsah rented Jew. During the Civil War, the Jewish population declined Minkovets. Minkovtsah In 1921 the farm was created "Star", whose membership includes many Jewish farmers. Minkovtsev Jewish population suffered from hunger 1921-22. In the middle. 1920s. Minkovtsah acted in underground Zionist organizations (including youth, "the Director-Halutz"), at the same time created a Jewish village council. July 31, 1941 Wehrmacht occupied Minkovtsy. August 30, 1941 in Minkovtsah Jews were shot in 2200. After his release in Minkovtsy back a few dozen Jewish families. In the 1970s and 90s. most Jews emigrated to Israel and other countries. Jews today do not live in the village. Photos monument site.
Detailed photos [Mar 2014]
Jewish Cemetery: "We finally came to a small cemetery of about 20 or 30 graves. The weeds were very overgrown but had not yet completely encroached on the tombstones. These graves were fairly modern. Each was sitting on top of a cement or stone foundation of about three feet in height and each foundation was surrounded by an ornamental, painted, iron fence. The stones were mostly written on in Cyrillic and most of the deaths had occurred in the 1960's or 1970's. Several stones had ceramic or porcelain discs on them with a photograph of the person on it. In some cases, the person's likeness was engraved on the stone. The whole place was a big surprise. ... She told us there were many more stones in the woods next to where we were standing but the woods had so completely regrown that we couldn't see any of them. They were completely inaccessible. She showed us a different path through some people's yards and before we knew it we were back on the unpaved street to the mill." Source with photographs of cemetery. [April 2012]
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 25 March 2014 20:19|