VILLA ALCARAZ: Entre Rios Province Print
International Jewish Cemetery Project - Argentina also see Entre Rios
In northeast Entre Rios province, 102 km from Parana on Provincial Route 127, 530 km from Buenos Aires, 125 km from La Paz, 47 km from Avigdor, and 25 km from Bovril. Most streets are unpaved. 2300 is the 2001 population. The 9,239-hectare colony of Leonardo Cohen, founded 1924, is east of the railroad; and Colonia Luis Oungre, founded in 1925 or 1931 with 13,835 hectares by 28 settlers, is to the west. These two colonies and Avigdor were the final settlements of European Jewry in Argentina. The economy is still a mixture of dairy, orchards, poultry, and agriculture. City Hall: intersection of Colon and San Juan Streets. M-F, 7 a.m. - 1 p.m. [December 2003]
  • El Cementerio Israelita de Alcaraz: Located 10 km from the town on a dirt road, contact Ruben "Bocha" Berman 03438-494069 or Semaj Berman 03438-494037. A chain link fence with an iron Mogen David and Menorah surround the cemetery begun in 1920s. A small white preburial house and Holocaust memorial are within the site. 200 graves have women on the right and men on the left. One couple is buried together. [December 2003]