You are here: Home South America Argentina SAN GREGORIO: aka Colonia Sonnenfeld
SAN GREGORIO: aka Colonia Sonnenfeld PDF Print E-mail

International Jewish Cemetery Project - Argentina also see Entre Rios and Villa Dommnquez
Former name: Colonia Sonnenfeld. Located in the center of Entre Rios province, the town is 355 km from Buenos Aires, 50 km from Basavilvaso, 35 km from Villa Clara, 22 km from Villaguay and Ingeniero Sajaroff, and 17 km from Carmel. Sonnenfeld Colony was a bit outside Villa Dominguez (about 7 km) and was laid out like a Russian shtetl. Named for Leven Sonnenfeld, director of the JCA, the name San Gregorio refers to the nearby woods. [December 2003]

 

  • El Cementerio Israelita de San Gregorio or La Recoleta de la Colonia Clara: Located on Provincial Route 20 from Villa Dominguez to Basavilbase. At the sign "El Aljibe" [The Well] turn right. A few meters further, a gravel road to the right leads to the cemetery open Friday and Sunday from sunup to 6 p.m. Key holder is Leon Salzman in Villa Dominguez (03455) 492043. Buried there are the following: Noe YARCHO, first physician to arrive in Argentina via JCA; Miguel SAJAROFF, Leon GURCHUNOFF, Gregorio SEGAL, BLACKIE family. A common grave from 1894 holds fifty people, who died from typhus from immigrants on the "Orione." Keeper of the cemetery for twenty years is Jose Feliciano Espinoza, who washes gravestones, plants flowers and prunes trees. He knows the location of every grave. The synagogue, 1 km away, is visible from the cemetery. The town functioned as a Chevra Kadisha for the area. The community of 52 Jewish families founded the first Jewish cemetery in Entre Rios province (1892) from land belonging to Aaron Yankelevich. The cemetery preceded the synagogue by one year. In the cemetery, parakeets fly among the eucalyptus and azerderach trees planted by the founders of the cemetery. [December 2003]
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution