You are here: Home United States Alabama AL SELMA: Dallas County
SELMA: Dallas County PDF Print E-mail
Jewish history and photographs [January 2009]

1919 Jewish population was 340 according to "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States", pp. 330-583, American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25,1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; vol. 21, edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld

Mishkan Israel Congregation, 503 Broad Street. Reform congregation established in 1867. 1899 Romanesque Revival building photographs.
photos. "Selma's one and only synagogue, Temple Mishkan Israel, is a Reform temple that was built in 1899. Until it was built, the Mishkan Israel Congregation met in private homes as far back as 1867. The earliest Jewish settlers date back to the 1830s. Jews were the most prominent leaders of Selma's business and government during the late 19th century and early 20th century. They owned and operated most of the big businesses in Selma during this period, were often mayors of Selma, and just as often members of Alabama's legislature and judiciary.." [April 2010]

Two Jewish cemeteries, an old one and a new one in Live Oak (absolutely gorgeous!). Community in decline, maybe 20 Jews remain, all older. back issues story from October 1997 (appx.) about the Selma Jewish Homecoming, which included cemetery visits.Source: Larry Brook, Deep South Jewish Voice, Birmingham, AL. [June 2001]

  • Elmwood Cemetery: Intersection of Race and Bristol Streets in east Selma. Contains the earliest burials in Selma¹s Jewish community. The first Jews arrived in the area in the early 1800s, but the cemetery was not established until 1867. Earlier burials may have been on private property or other towns. Source: Ed Ember, P.O. Box 265, Selma AL 36702-0265 sent to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it [before 2000] Burial list: [January 2009]
  • Live Oak Cemetery: Follow Dallas Avenue to the west. The cemetery was previously called Magnolia Cemetery and is on the National Register of Historic Sites. Historic burials include William Rufus King, founder of Selma and vice president of the United States and Harriet Hooker Wilkins, suffragist and the first woman elected to the Alabama Legislature. The Jewish sections are to the west and contain well over 500 burials dating back to 1898 (Mishkan Israel -- Reform). The B¹nai Abraham (Orthodox) section is further down, in the corner. The cemetery is noted for its huge oak trees and clusters of Spanish moss. Source: Larry Brook, Deep South Jewish Voice, Birmingham, AL [June 2001] Burial list: [January 2009]
  • Magnolia Cemetery: see Live Oak Cemetery


Last Updated on Friday, 16 April 2010 13:27
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution