Jewish History: [January 2009]
Synagogues of Birmingham: "Nearly 90% of the Jews here associate with synagogues. The Birmingham Jewish community is served by three synagogues; Reform, Conservative and Orthodox…"1919 Jewish population was 3,500 according to "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States", pp. 330-583, American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25,1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; vol. 21, edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee and submitted by Alan Hirschfeld.
- Congregation Beth El: 2179 Highland Avenue. Established in 1901, Conservative. Style of Architecture: Moorish Byzantine Revival built 1926. See photos [January 2009]
- Knesseth Israel Congregation: 3225 Montevallo Road, Birmingham, AL 35223 Phone: 205-879-1664.
. Orthodox congregation established in 1891. The only Orthodox synagogue in Alabama except for Chabad established around 2000. The Congregation relocated to their building at 3100 Overton Road, 1955.
- Temple Emanu-El: 2100 Highland Avenue. Reform congregation established in 1882. 1914 Classical Revival building. Temple Emanu-El is one of Alabama's largest and most well-known Jewish Congregations. Jewish History of Birmingham and Temple Emanu-El (founded 1882).
- Enon Ridge Cemetery also known as Northside Cemetery (Temple Emanu-El) also known as Kneseth Israel-Beth El Cemetery:
11th Court North, 252-5552. Knesseth Israel Cemetery/Beth El Cemetery Association, PO Box 13404, Birmingham, AL 35213-0404 (may be original cemetery for Jews buried in B'ham) Source:
. [December 2000]
Update: Actually, two distinct cemeteries are on either side of 11th Court North at 4th Street North: on one side is Cemetery Emanu-El and directly opposite is Knesses Israel-Beth El Cemetery. [November 2012]
. [November 2012]
- Cemetery Emanu-El
- Cemetery Knesseth Israel: Old Beth El-Kl. 120 Eleventh Courth North, Birmingham, AL 35204-2524
- Entrance photo. [June 2014]
- Elmwood Cemetery:
- Birmingham, AL (Temple Emanu-El Section) Block 36. Temple Emanu-El, P.O. Box 55403, Birmingham, AL 35255. Phone: (205) 933-8037, Fax: (205) 933-8099,. [December 2000] Current burials are at Elmwood. KI/Beth-El are in one section, Emanu-El (Reform) in another. Source: Larry Brook, Deep South Jewish Voice, Birmingham, AL. [June 2001]
- Update: Cemetery Address/phone: 600 Martin Luther King Junior Drive, Birmingham, 35211. Office phone: 205-251-3114. [November 2012]
- Photos courtesy Merle Kastner. [November 2012]
- Elmwood Cemetery, Section unknown
- West Highlands Cemetery: municipal cemetery (suburb) of Bessemer. Source: Larry Brook, Deep South Jewish Voice, Birmingham, AL. [June 2001]